Friday, February 1, 2013

T-Shirt Quilt

As if I didn't have enough to do I've signed up for the Lucky Stars Block of the Month Club and boy am I looking forward to doing that! Seems manageable to me, one block a month that forces me away from my usual easy peasy 9 square 4x4 block quilt.
Ok it's the first of February and I've only started the practice block for December but I have finished this...

 A quilt number from number two son's discarded t-shirts because they're too baggy after a year and a term living off peanut butter and pasta. I didn't have many to play with, the middle block isn't a t-shirt at all, just an appliquéd star framing three cool labels rescued from the bin.



I've now saved most of the off cuts, could I shred them for stuffing?
The metallic fabric was strangely tricky to sew. I've used it loads of times before for wacky trousers but this time, the machine wasn't happy. I tried different needles and defluffing but I'd still have only the odd stitch in a row of holes and some loose threads. It was better when the fabric sandwich included t- shirt or fleece or the fine needlecord I used for the star. The backing is tartan fleece and the binding the rocket fabric from my first post.

 I was quite pleased with myself until I googled 't-shirt quilt' and found hundreds of examples. Here's is one of my favourites, made from some brilliant Threadless designs. Those are still on his back!

So I think I'm on track for new makes,if I count the moustache cowls as two, it's 4/52. Yay.


No comments:

Post a Comment