Thursday, January 24, 2013

Flower Cowl

Here's a project that half counts for this year.
I can't show a complete mug shot because my hair lots like Tidyup's at the moment and I don't like it. It's not blue though, I wish it was.
Along with my 52 makes I'm also going to attempt to clear my back log of half makes from the last ten years. As I've been in the swing of cowls and you can knit these plain ones while reading the subtitles on the DVD of The Killing you gave your other half for Christmas, this was the obvious choice.

The other half gave me the bamboo tape ages ago, just 2 balls for inspiration with a pattern book of elegant stuff that would have taken me decades.
For the cowl, at the time the extent of my ambition, I cast on 92 stitches on a 5mm/40cm circular needle. I think I had a pattern to begin with, which must have been where I found out about hems (knit 6 - 9 rounds or so stocking stitch, purl one round, turn up and knit about the same number of rounds again and join. (I really wished I'd watched this before I started.) I loosely oversewed my hems on this one, not great but ok.
I crocheted the flowers which approximately resemble the buttercup from 100 Flowers to Knit and Crochet by Lesley Stansfield, leaving enough ends to secure them in this neat little line along the edge.

The bamboo is so soft and the flowers work surprisingly well! I'm pleased.

So how am I doing?
2013 Projects from scratch (marvellous stuff) 3/52
2013 Finishing projects 1

No comments:

Post a Comment