Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Knitted Moustache Cowls

The minute I saw these on Knitty I desperately wanted to make one. I had to wait, but in the end I made three. The first was for number one son for Christmas so isn't counting for this blog but the other two were for some great friends who are just perfect for this sort thing.
I used Rowan Creative Focus, worsted weight, which is almost the right wool. The chunky acrylic in my stash was absolutely the wrong wool. The Rowan is a little too fluffy so number one son is bringing his back for a small cotton mouth patch to be sewn inside under the 'tache. (Hu and Su, the same amendment is on offer for yours.)
The pattern says to change needles from the hem to the main body of the cowl - I forgot but it doesn't seem to be too dire a mistake. After the first attempt, when I did remember to change to the smaller needles, it seemed too small. So I unravelled (love that word) and reknitted with an extra 10 stitches for the smaller adult and an extra 20 for the larger.
I loved doing the swiss darned 'taches, once I'd got a rhythm going to the stitching and the wool was a joy to knit. I couldn't quite get the hang of of the provisional cast on for the tangy version but I cast on loosely in my usual way and improvised by turning up and using cast on loops as edge stitches. I forgot to take a photo of that before I gave them away but trust me, it looked quite neat. 
Hu and Su
A 2012 make, but he wears it so well...
Number one son

No comments:

Post a Comment